Born01 May 1980
Isabelle Geffroy (born 1 May 1980 in Tours, France), better known by the nickname Zaz, is a French singer-songwriter who mixes jazzy styles, French variety, soul and acoustic. She is famous for her hit "Je veux", from her first album, Zaz, released on 10 May 2010.
Her mother was a Spanish teacher, whereas her father worked for an electric company. In 1985, she entered the Conservatoire de Tours with her sister and her brother, attending courses from the ages of five to eleven. She studied music theory, specifically the violin, piano, guitar, and choral singing. In 1994, she moved to Bordeaux. In 1995, she took singing lessons and played sports for a year in Bordeaux, all while studying kung fu with a professional coach. In 2000, she won a scholarship from the regional council, which allowed her to join a school of modern music, the CIAM (Centre for Musical Activities and Information) of Bordeaux. Her musical influences included 'Four Seasons' by Vivaldi, jazz singers such as Ella Fitzgerald, and other singers such as Enrico Macias, Bobby McFerrin, and Richard Bona, as well as African, Latin, and Cuban rhythms. In 2006, she moved to Paris.
In 2001, she started her singing career in the blues band "Fifty Fingers". She sang in musical groups in Angoulême, especially in a jazz quintet. She became one of the four singers of Izar-Adatz (Basque for "Shooting Star"), a variety band which consisted of sixteen people with whom she toured for two years, especially in the Midi-Pyrenees and the Basque Country. She worked in the studio as a backing singer in Toulouse and performed with many singers, including Maeso, Art Mengo, Vladimir Max, Jean-Pierre Mader, and Serge Guerao.
In 2011, Zaz won an EBBA Award. Every year the European Border Breakers Awards (EBBA) recognize the success of ten emerging artists or groups who reached audiences outside their own countries with their first internationally released album in the past year.
In May 2010, French magazine Télérama announced: "Rumor has swelled in recent weeks: Zaz is an extraordinary voice, and she will be the revelation of the summer!". On 10 May 2010, Zaz released her first album. It contains songs she wrote ("Trop sensible") and co-composed ("Les passants", "Le long de la route", "Prends garde à ta langue", "J'aime à nouveau", "Ni oui ni non"). Kerredine Soltani produced the album on the label "Play On" and wrote and composed the hit single "Je veux". The pop singer Raphaël Haroche wrote her songs "Éblouie par la nuit", "Port Coton" and "La fée". In 2010, she signed a contract for her tours with Caramba and publisher Sony ATV. She was invited to make several television appearances (such as Taratata or Chabada) and was featured in several programs on the radio. On Sunday 6 October 2013, Zaz appeared on BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show in London and sang "Je veux" live.
Zaz then toured France (Paris, La Rochelle, Montauban, Saint-Ouen, Chateauroux, Landerneau, Fécamp...), performed at the Francofolies of Montreal (Canada), and sang in Monthey (Switzerland), Brussels, Berlin, and Milan. In autumn Zaz topped the charts in Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria. Matthieu Baligand, her manager and producer at Caramba Entertainment, explained to Libération: "We talk a lot of her right now and people are waiting her at the turn... Despite the demand, it seems preferable to do her first tour in fifty small places which will render her credible. Zaz is a popular, intuitive artist, who is familiar with music, who can sing, but doing a quality show is something else." In November 2010, the debut album Zaz became double platinum and she was awarded "Revelation Song" by the Académie Charles Cros. Zaz also won the European Border Breakers Award: she was named the French artist most played abroad in 2010. According to a survey published by L'Internaute, Zaz was the most popular French singer in the 2010 ranking.
She is also featured on the song "Cœur Volant" for the soundtrack of the 2011 film, Hugo. Her live CD and DVD Zaz live tour Sans Tsu Tsou was revealed.
Her song "Eblouie Par La Nuit" was featured in the 2013 American neo-noir crime thriller, "Dead Man Down".
In 2012, Zaz went on tour and held concerts in various countries around the world including Japan, Canada, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Slovenia, Czech Republic (Colours of Ostrava), Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Turkey, among other countries.
With her album Paris she won the 2015 Echo award for best international female rock/pop artist.
In 2016, Zaz was invited to perform in Zacatecas City, Mexico as part of the Festival Cultural Zacatecas.
In September 2018, Zaz released "Qué vendrá", the first track from an upcoming album titled Effet miroir ("Mirror Effect"). The track's title and chorus are in Spanish.
In 2011, she joined the Les Enfoirés charity ensemble.
Zaz created the project Zazimut to "develop and promote projects for a society more respectful of life in all its forms".
1. "I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back."
2. "I believe that in life you should always take the serious things lightly and the light things seriously. This attitude of mine gets me into a lot of trouble."
3. "Being jealous of a beautiful woman is not going to make you more beautiful."
4. "Any woman who diets all the time can't help but be grouchy. Nobody can be amusing or entertaining on a diet."
5. "To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness."
6. "What is really important for a woman, you know, even more than being beautiful or intelligent, is to be entertaining."
7. "Love should be an inspiration, not an obligation."
8. "A girl must marry for love, and keep on marrying until she finds it."
9. "I don't remember anyone's name. How do you think the 'dahling' thing got started?"
10. "My husband said it was him or the cat. I miss him sometimes."
11. "How many husbands have I had? You mean apart from my own?"
12. "The women's movement hasn't changed my sex life. It wouldn't dare."
13. "There's no better money to spend than your own."
14. "Parisian men make love all day and have no time to work; American men work all day and have no time for love."
15. "Remember—the only place men want depth in their women is in her décolletage."
16. "My most favorite joke is that to keep a marriage, the husband should have a night out with the boys and the wife should have a night out with the boys, too."
17. "I always said marriage should be a fifty-fifty proposition. He should be at least fifty years old, and have at least fifty-million dollars."
18. "Diamonds are a girl's best friend and dogs are a man's best friend. Now you know which sex has more sense."
19. "I believe in large families. Every woman should have at least three husbands."
20. "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
21. "Personally, I know nothing about sex, because I have always been married."
22. "I love the intellectual type. They know everything and suspect nothing."